Lotus

Lotus

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

From the Meditation Cushion - Some Thoughts on Truth.

Truth.

Years worth of wise men and women have given their two cents worth on this topic and yet it still remains somewhat of an elusive and complex idea.

Right now I am trying to wrap my head around a hefty dose of truthiness.

I was visited this morning by a person who tends to be a lovely addition to my life. This morning though she chose to share her feelings on some happenings in our shared life that did not resonate well with me.

At the same time as being hurt and weakened by her comments I am left wondering how much of it is true. Do I really lack the grit to be the parent that my son needs in order to grow up as a healthy and happy person? Do I need to pull my socks up and get my house in a more controlled order? I don't really think so. In fact, up until this morning I was feeling pretty good about myself and the house I am keeping. Not so much now. Funny how that works.

This all brought me to the topic of truth. What is truth? Is there an absolute truth? What is the truth in this situation? I know what my truth is because I was all but convinced of it and happy because of it when this lovely person came into my kitchen. On the other hand, I have to assume that her conviction this AM means that what she said is her truth. So, where does the absolute truth lie? At this point I am not entirely certain.

The Buddhists would say that I need to not be attached to the righteous feeling that I am right and she is wrong. They would also say that I need to open my heart to her and have great compassion for what is clearly her suffering. If she brought all of that stress to spill all over me and my spirit, then she is clearly carrying it all inside. My attachment to my own righteous thoughts is causing me to suffer. In Buddhist tradition I need to release my attachment and open my heart.

Sigh.

It is the right thing to do and I know I will feel better but my own righteous attachment to my thoughts is resistant.

Something for my meditation cushion and I to work on together.

No comments: